Skip to content
Ingredients (for 1 pie)
- 1- pre-made pie crust, pack of 2
- 3c frozen blackberries
- 1/2c light brown sugar
- 1/4c sweetened crystallized ginger
- 2 golden delicious apples
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 egg
- Mix the blackberries with brown sugar & set aside so sugars can dissolve.
- Roll out half the pie crust into a pie dish (in this case, we were doubling the recipe & had two packs of pie crusts)
- Chop ginger finely.
- Peel, core & roughly chop the apples.
- Mix the nutmeg, salt & cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add chopped ginger & apples to blackberry/sugar mix.
- Add cornstarch/salt/nutmeg to the fruit mix.*
- Lightly brush inside of pie crust with beaten egg.
- Once mixture has darkened & you no longer see white flecks (corn starch) pour mixture into pie crust.
- We chose to decorate our pies by cutting out shapes from the pre-formed crust and laying those over. If you choose to do the full crust, cut slits in the middle.
- Brush crust with egg LIGHTLY
- Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until crust is brown.
tips & tricks:
- The berries/apples should soften a bit in the bowl, that’s perfectly ok!
- To prevent apples from browning, toss in lemon juice, lemon zest on top can also be added.
- A great way to involve kids/others is by letting them cut shapes/decorations out of the pie crust. I would suggest doing this while you prep the pie & then placing the shapes in the freezer to cool
- Be on the lookout for white flecks of cornstarch when adding cornstarch, salt & nutmeg mix to fruit.
- This pie can be made ahead & keeps quite well. It slices slightly better once it has cooled & is easily reheated.
- For more of a traditional apple pie flavor, add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Much like EVERY PIE this is best served with vanilla ice cream on the side.